The NYT laments the loss of the hotel as developers begin to turn the building into offices.
While still owned by the Renwick family, the St. Denis Hotel was managed by William Taylor and his son from 1875 to 1912.
In 1891 the hotel was enlarged “by a new and handsome addition which more than doubles it former capacity,” and the “latest improvements” were installed. Among the upgrades was a system of fire gongs that were rung to alert sleeping guests of danger.
Alexander Graham Bell gave his first demonstration of the telephone in 1877 at the St. Denis Building in NYC .
St. Denis Hotel opens with great fanfare and appreciation for the architect James Renwick, who had just finished Grace Church across the street.